Thursday, December 9, 2010

Is It Me...

As I think about my role as a teacher at The School (I've been in one of those reflective spaces), I wonder is it me?

Seriously, one of my instructors problematized or should I say, challenged how I'd previously thought about this project.  While I wasn't naive in thinking that my presence in the class, who I am as a Black female psuedo-revolutionary :) [lol] wouldn't have ANY effect on how they engaged with the texts we read, I don't think I truly wrapped my brain around answering the question, "Well if that's the case, then to what extent IS IT ME?" 

Although I've already collected data for the first unit, I wonder:
  • Did I inadvertently skew how my boys interpreted "Girl?"
  • Did I under/overemphasize aspects of gender without even realizing it?  What did I take for granted? 
  • Did my "need" to simplify the terminology give away my aims?
  • Would someone who was my polar opposite (white male cannon toter) elicit similar responses?
  • Did I pay enough attention to the silences that my own racial/gendered identity could have missed?
Keeping these questions in mind as I analyze my data will be key. 

hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment