Friday, October 1, 2010

Why the Blog?

In an age when contact with the opinions of others is no longer a choice, it took a long time for me to decide whether or not a blog (or any type of digital journal) would be the best means for me to record my thoughts and observations this school year...

As an English teacher (don't hold me to proper grammar and syntax), I'd always been a fan of the 'ol trusty pen and paper, but this year...this year in particular, I was prompted to record, what would have otherwise been transcribed in a perfectly functional leather bound and lineless journal, onto this blog.  I caved, but for good reason I might say.

This year, unlike previous school years, I had the wonderful opportunity to become my own guinea pig and bring a group of unlikely students along with me.  Becoming a teacher-researcher has its perks, but I knew when drafting my proposal that coding data from handwritten notes would be hell.  So, while aligning myself with this "push toward 21st century skills" would be admirable, I was much more concerned with the ease of coding that a digital blog would provide.

And so, this blog is dedicated to the whims of mind that I (and my students) take as we "transform" our understanding, interactions, and processes of creation in our 8th grade English classroom.

The moniker was their predecessors' gift to me and is almost appropos for this endeavor.

Signing off...

No comments:

Post a Comment